CULTURE QUIZ - Part 1
1. You just found out that your mother is sick. You go to work, and an American co-worker asks you, “How are you?” What do you say?
a) “Not good.”
b) “Fine, how are you?”
c) “I’m not doing too well—I just found out that my mother is sick.”
2. An American has invited you to their house for dinner. Should you bring anything?
c) Only if they ask.
3. Two of your co-workers are talking, and you have to ask one of them a question about a project you’re working on. What should you do?
a) Go back to your desk and wait until the conversation is over.
b) Interrupt their conversation and ask the question.
c) Stand there and watch them until the conversation is over.
4. You are invited to a wedding reception that is going to begin at 3:00 pm. What time should you arrive?
a) Anytime—it doesn’t matter.
b) At 3:00.
c) Between 3:00 and 3:30.
5. You’ve been married for 10 years, but you’ve never worn a wedding band. Should you wear one in the United States?
b) Only at formal events.
6. Is it expected that a woman will sleep with a man if he pays for dinner?
a) It depends on the person.
b) Yes—anytime an American goes on a date, that’s what they expect.
c) No—Americans never do that.
7. You and your neighbor get along very well, and they tell you, “Come over anytime.” What should you do?
a) Do what they say—go to their house whenever you want.
b) Never go to their house.
c) Call before you go over.
8. You meet an American at a luncheon. They ask you what you do for a living, and after you tell them, you ask them:
a) What they do and how much money they make.
b) What they do.
c) What they do and where they work.
9. You just started a new job, and you need to make a personal call. What should you do?
a) Ask someone if it is okay to make a personal call.
b) Make the call—it doesn’t matter, as long as you’re an employee.
c) Don’t make the call until lunch time, and do it outside your workplace.
10. An American tells you that your shirt is nice. What do you say?
a) "Thank you."
b) "No, it's not that special."
c) Don't say anything because the compliment wasn't sincere.
To see answers, click here.
|To see answers, click here.